Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Clown is alive

After some troubles with my internet provider I am in the global net again.
And you can see the clown paper pieced block alive.
 I appliqued the red nose and stitched by hand  with tiny stitches.
Almost done. The pompons on the dress should be made from felt or to sew buttons.
I am going to use it for a baby quilt so don't think the button is a good idea.
I will thinking a little bit more.

Monday, August 13, 2012

Finished French press

Last night I have a great feedback from wonderful Lisaleh from Modern Balabusta 
She has sewn the French press and a cup of coffee on a mug  rug.

You might say "Paper piecing. So common. Nothing new under the sun."
But look at her tribute. She has embroidered the handle of the cup and the steam of the coffee.
She put a cup a little bit higher the the base of French press. As a result we can see well balanced mug rug.
She is so kind to send me a picture of her work.

I am so happy!.
That's why I like designing pattern. I am glad to see individual tribute of each quilter.
Thank you , Lisa.

Friday, August 10, 2012

The circus is here!

Do you remember the childhood when circus was in the town?
We have eaten sugar floss and candy canes asking for more and more.
Unforgettable happy moments.
Here he is - The clown! A smiling, but sad person.
Do you hear the ringing bells on his hat?
This pattern is available in my Craftsy shop.

Monday, August 6, 2012

Cathedral windows taffeta needlecase

I have seen it in wonderful book "QUILTING 140 practical projects" by Isabel Stanley and Jenny Watson.
I love it, I want it.
I had to be very brave when decided to made this needle case.
This is my first cathedral windows project. It is not complicated, but sewing so small cathedral windows from taffeta seem to be very ambitious.
I have scraps left from my curtains.
At the very first beginning it was easy and pleasant to sew. I cut eight squares, folded and attached following instructions. Cut small pieces for the centers and then began the difficulties.
I was on the way to give up after sewing first square. But it would be pity for the lost 3 hours.
I  kept sewing.

The finished needle case looks so gorgeous.
 I forget about the hours spent in sewing.
Do you like it?
 I have written a tutorial with pics.
1. Cut eight  4 in inch squares. I use 3,5 in square freezer paper for easy folding the ends.

2. Fold each corner to the center point, press and pin.

3. Fold each corner to the center point once more. Stitch the corners at the center.
4. Place two patches right side facing and whip stitch.
There is no need to be so perfect like me :). At the end these places will be hidden.

5. Make 4 couples this way.
6. Then join the columns.
7. Measure the fold from one corner to the center point of the patch. Cut 8 squares in another colored taffeta to this size.  Pin each piece diagonally over the seam. Roll the fold over and slip stitch in place. Do the same with all 4 sides.
8. Repeat with others 7 squares.
Make the cathedral window effect on the patches without additional taffeta, too.

 9. Sew a button on the one side and a fabric loop to the other.

10. Cut the lining fabric to fit the case, adding 1/4 in seam allowance. Press under the seam allowances.

Press the corner this way. It will be easier to stitch to the outside part.

11. Slip stitch the lining to the needle case wrong sides facing.
12. Cut the felt to size and pink the edges. I have added 2 sheets.
13. Place the felt pieces in the needlecase and stitch down the centre line.

Enjoy the result.

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Dyеing with rust

Some weeks ago I red in a Patchwork&Quiltjournal about dyeing with rust.
I was interested in and began looking for rusty elements.
Following advices in the magazine I succeed these results. I was amazed how easy it happens.

I decided to repeat the process and take some pictures. Here is the sequence of actions.
1. Mix three parts vinegar with one part water and soak a piece of fabric for a few minutes.
2. Lay on a plastic, put the rusty item, wrap carefully first with the cloth and then with plastic.

3. Leave in a hot sunny place. 

The result after 24 hours.
4. Mix a tea spoon baking soda in 1 liter warm water and soak fabric for 15 min. This will stop the process.
5. Rinse with cold water, dry and iron.

I have red many posts about the dyeing with rust.
Love the page of  Kimberly Baxter - the place with most detailed instructions and Q&A page.

What I have made with a piece of rusty dyed fabric.
Looking at it I have seen it has a mirror image.
So named it "REFLECTIONS"
I have sewn some free motion embroidery, added a  frame of fabric.

The others are waiting for my inspiration...


Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Summer greeting card - on the beach

Hello 1 of August!
Time for sea and holiday.
Very easy project for greetings card.

You will need:
a piece of blue cardboard size A4 or letter(180 gr)
a piece of yellow paper (80 gr)
some fabric pieces

1.Look at your scraps and choose some colorful pieces.
2.Iron and cut umrellas.
3.Set your machine stitch to max possible. When sewing a paper it is recommended to have long stitches to keep the paper.
4.Cut the yellow paper like sand beach and stick on the blue cardboard.
5.Fold the card.
6.Sew the fabric onto the cardboard like umbrella.
 You might sew different way depending on the shape of pieces.
6.Put some on the back, too.
7.You are finished.
Happy summer.