Wednesday, June 19, 2013

What about scaps

What is scrap in quilting? What size are the pieces you are collecting for future use? Does it worth to store them or simply cut entire fabrics is better decision?
I collect all pieces. It is not a joke - absolutely true.
My problem is to sort them and find them when needed.
I know, I know. You will say - a boxes with labels do excellent work. Simply label them 1 inch stripes, 2 inches stripes and so on.
This sounds ridiculous for me. I will give you an example an you will understand me immediately.
A week ago I have free time, but was too nervous to begin a new project.
So I have get some pieces from my scrap basket, separate blue hues and green hues only and began collect them.
There are triangles, squares, small stripes.
I have to specify that I used pieces as they are - I haven't cut them in half or etc.
Simply combined pieces.
3 hours later I was absolutely calm and satisfied.


And the size is.




Do you understand me now? 
Are you sure you know what we have to label SCRAP?
I am not.

4 comments:

  1. This is lovely! I have recently read about this way of scrap piecing in the book Sunday Morning Quits. It seems a fine technique to use up the tiniest bits of fabric. Do you plan to make a quilt from these pieces?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have found an article by Tonya B. Ricucci for unruly piecing. And then her book - Word Play Quilts: Easy Techniques from the UnRuly Quilter.
      I haven't decide what to do with this project. It was just a play. Might be a wall hanging?! Or I would make another blocks different colors and collect them in a bigger quilt? I will see.

      Delete
  2. I was just about to mention Suday Morning Quilts as well......this is the book that got me sorting my scraps in a more managable way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hint. I have to read more about sorting. The scraps have to be managed if I want to use them :)

      Delete